Three months after model Peaches Geldof was found unresponsive in her home, the official cause of death has been determined.
According to Kent Police in the UK, Geldof died of an overdose. The Independent reports that pathologist Peter Jerreat said puncture wounds were found on Geldof’s body, wrists and thumbs. He also said that there was a “fatal range” of heroin in her system, along with evidence of codine, methadone and morphine. Geldof’s husband Thomas Cohen told the Coroner that his wife was taking weekly drug tests since receiving treatment for her drug addiction two years ago, but had restarted using in February, and that he believed Geldof had lied about the test. Evidence including burnt spoons, capped syringe and heroin resin was also found in her Wrotham, Kent home that suggested Gelfod was a continual user.
Geldof was discovered slumped over her bed on April 7 by her husband. They had two children together: Astala Dylan Willo and Phaedra Bloom Forever. Geldof was the daughter of musician Bob Geldof and late TV presenter Paula Yates. Yates also died of a heroin overdose in September, 2000. Geldof had made it clear that coming to terms with her mother’s death was very difficult for her. “I remember the day my mother died, and it’s still hard to talk about it. I just blocked it out. I went to school the next day because my father’s mentality was ‘keep calm and carry on’,” she told Elle magazine in 2012. Peaches was 25 when she passed away.
For more information, head over to The Independent.