Are you looking for all-natural, chemical-free alternatives to your beauty products? Do you like smelling like a heavenly tropical goddess? If so, keep reading…
So you may have impulsively purchased a jar of coconut oil a couple months ago after hearing from friends or learning on Instagram that it is super healthy to cook with. But if you’re like us, that jar has been sitting in the cupboard since you bought it. Now is the time to reach for coconut oil as the summer months bring on the sun and heat, drying out our skin and hair. We’ve got not one, but five new uses for coconut oil that are guaranteed to have you naturally glistening from head to toe (and smelling incredible, too).
Here’s what you need….
- one jar of pure coconut oil (find this at any health food store, we like Trader Joe’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil)
- powdered food coloring (optional)
- a couple tablespoons of Epsom salt
Here’s What You Can Create:
- Lip Conditioner: Melt a few tablespoons of coconut oil in a microwave-safe cup (10-second increments for about 60 seconds in total). Add red or pink powdered food coloring and stir well if you’d like the lip balm to have a rouge effect. Pour into any small tin and refrigerate for approx. 20 minutes. Remove and apply to lips with your finger!
- Cuticle Moisturizer: Dab some coconut oil straight out of the jar on to nail and toenail cuticles. Let sit for 5-10 minutes and then, rinse off with soap and water. No need to waste money on oils from the drugstore!
- Body Scrub: Measure out a few tablespoons of coconut oil into bowl. Add an equal amount of Epsom salt. Mash the two together until it reaches the consistency of a scrub. Rub all over your body and then rinse off. Your skin has never felt this smooth and hydrated.
- Makeup Remover: Dip a Q-tip directly into the jar of coconut oil and rub gently on face to remove makeup, then rinse off. This is best for removing under eye makeup at night before bed.
- Hair Conditioner: Say goodbye to split ends. Melt a few tablespoons of coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Apply to the ends of your hair and let sit for approx. 20 minutes. Afterwards, shower and wash your hair normally.