I love going into Forever 21 and spending 100 dollars on knockoffs of the most recent trends- you know some ridiculous sparkly dress or printed paisley pants. They look amazing the first time I wear them but chances are a month later I throw the pants I HAD to have in the back of my closet, never to be worn again. But there are those major staple pieces everyone should have in their wardrobe here are 8 items everyone should covet which always look expensive and chic.
- The Blazer: the blazer is a key piece in any wardrobe as it can take you from the office, to drinks to dancing all night. The best investment is a blazer in a neutral color (black, beige, white). The blazer first became a hit with the YSL smoking jacket and still is essential in any closet today.
YSL smoking jacket
2. The White Shirt: Perhaps the most important item to have, the white shirt always looks clean and crisp and can be worn to a swanky dinner party or running to Starbucks on a Sunday.
Classic Anne Fontaine Shirt
For a budget friendly alternative see Banana Republic’s“Tailored non-iron sateen shirt” $59.50
3. Sunglasses: Sunglasses are the best invention. Hung-over on the train? Through on your sunnies. Run into your arch nemesis, have no fear slap on your dark tinted glasses! Everyone should have a pair of sunglasses fit for the shape of your face. Tip: aviators are universally flattering. Channel your inner Jackie O- the bigger the better!
Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in MiH jeans
Get model legs with BDG Cigarette mid-Rise jeans available at Urban Outfitters $54
5. The Little Black Dress (LBD): Ah, the LBD is the most versatile item any girl can own. Think of Audrey Hepburn in the opening scene of Breakfast at Tiffany’s, her black Givenchy dress could not have been more perfect. The LBD can take you from day to night with a change of shoes and bag as well as from summer to winter with a pair of tights and sweater.
Drapped Detailing Dress from Mango $24.99
6. Statement Piece of Jewelry: Whether it’s your grandmother’s old necklace or that funky turquoise ring you bought in Tulum, Mexico a statement piece of jewelry is timeless and a great conversation starter.
Tribal Triad Bib $30 from Bauble Bar
7. Trench Coat: Perfect for that in-between weather. A trench coat always looks chic.
Kate Middleton in Burberry
Tommy Hilfiger Christine Double Breasted Trench available at zappos.com $89.99
8. Ballet Flats: Channel your inner Parisian girl and purchase a pair of Ballet flats, ones made in Italy are the best (although definitely more costly) but will last you forever. Whether you’re walking down 5th avenue or Rue Rivoli, ballet flats are the perfect investment.
Article by: Hadley Green