So jumpsuits have always been super intimidating. We’ve never thought that we would be able to ever pull off a look like that — it’s too sophisticated. And while some of you may want to shield your eyes as we say this, it looks like the times have changed. According to fashion buyers nationwide, jumpsuits are already huge sellers for spring 2014.
Brooke Jaffe, Bloomingdale’s ready-to-wear fashion director, tells WWD that she’s having a hard time keeping up with the demand for jumpsuits: “We’ve reordered and are trying to get as many units as possible. Any brand that’s made a jumpsuit for spring is doing well.” Contemporary buyers report that after a long, cold winter, consumers are ready to refresh their wardrobes in a big way. And think about it, it’s a ready-made outfit. You can wear them with pair of sneakers on the weekend or dress it up with heels and a statement necklace for work or a night out. One of the things we love most of jumpsuits is their versatility.
For maximum style with minimum effort, playsuits and jumpsuits are your spring and summer staple. Dial it down with cami playsuits and boiler jumpsuits or amp it up for festivals with freaky floral prints.
Here are 5 reasons you should start wearing jumpsuits:
1. Jumpsuits are pants’ answer to dresses. Think about it: It’s an outfit out of just one thing, but it’s still pants. The leg can be as flowy or as tailored as you want. Plus, since it’s spring and things are kindly being made in lightweight material, a jumpsuit will have similar body-cooling properties as a dress.
2. A jumpsuit is the ideal first layer. Is your office totally freezing? Jumpsuits look great under blazers and cardigans, and you don’t have to worry about what shirt to wear since it’s built in.
3. You can wear a button up UNDER it. Worried a jumpsuit will show too much skin? Wear a button front or just a collared shirt (long sleeve, short sleeve, or sleeveless will all look great) underneath it. This will look amazing while being office-appropriate.
4. The layerability makes it the perfect thing to wear to work if you have fancy plans after. Just shed the layers that make it work-wear.
5. It will look really good on you. Because this is just one piece of clothing, you don’t have to worry about tucking in or not tucking, or the gapping problem with button front shirts. It will flatter your curves or your not-curves, and you can find one that is as tight or as loose as you want.
So let’s take a deep breath and explore the jumpsuits that we MUST have in our closet this spring.
In Too Deep Jumpsuit, $58
Mango Floral Print Jumpsuit, $69.98
Ribbon Palm Jumpsuit, $45