Instagram is, without a doubt, one of the most addicting apps. You can get little snapshots of people’s lives, from celebrities to your friends. It’s also your chance to show off the highlight reel of your life. Seriously –you can post the pictures of your pretty new watch but hide the picture of your now totally empty wallet. Instagram is an art, it’s a hobby, it’s a LIFESTYLE.
1. When the lighting is PERFECT so you take sneaky pictures while in public.
I’m not gonna lie–I’ve taken selfies while on the bus. I also spent a solid five minutes arranging my raspberry macaron and book on my polka dot dress just to get the perfect shot to make me look like I was somewhere cool doing something important. Reality: I was on the smelly bus and some old man was glaring at me while I did this.
2. Spending more time artfully arranging your food than you do eating it.
By the time you get the perfect photo of your Chipotle burrito, it’s probably cold. The ice cream that looks super pretty in your pictures is now basically melted, but it was all worth it. #DoItForTheGram
3. Awkwardly moving your body to get the BEST shot.
Trying to get a picture of your legs at the beach? Be prepared to have your phone smushed against your cleavage. Want a sweet aerial of your shoes? Raise your phone up to the sky and get on those tip-toes. It’s a workout in itself to get the perfect Insta.
4. Trying to decide on a filter.
There are so many choices of filters. They all look so good! Will you make your photo look vintage? Perhaps you’ll give it a classy twist with some black and white? Is it socially acceptable to Instagram three versions of the same photo with different filters?!
5. When someone you follow posts like five photos a day.
RELAX. WE GET IT. You’re in freaking Disneyland! You love your make-up today! Congrats. You’re breaking Insta-Ettiquette–you should know better than to spam us all. The pictures are really nice though…*like*
6. Praying for that 11th “Like” so a number shows up instead of a bunch of usernames.
Please, just one more person break the barrier. Get rid of the hideous stream of names under my photo–make me look cool! Number eleven, I will sell you my soul for a “Like.”
7. Feeling a little bit disappointed when your photo doesn’t get enough likes.
I look so BEAUTIFUL. Did I post at the wrong time while everyone was busy? Maybe I should delete and re-post….Why does my latte have more likes than my face? Then again, lattes are beautiful, too….
8. Trying to come up with the best caption.
I need to be witty but also flirty and fun. Have to maintain my image… should I do a pun? I have to seem like I’m not trying too hard… should I put emojis? Yeah, I’ll put some emojis.
9. When you scroll through your feed and get serious Insta-envy…
What filter did she use? I need that outfit in my closet, STAT! The Virgin Islands look so pretty in her Instagram photos, look at that saturation!
10. …but then remember how fabulous your own Instagram feed is.
Keep on Instagrammin’.
(all images via Giphy)