Born in 1935, the now 78-year-old has never been more fabulous. Julie Andrews has gained a lifetime of fame from her starring roles in beloved musicals, such as The Sound Of Music and Mary Poppins. From catching the acting bug as a child she has went on to play everyone from Queen Elizabeth II to fictional Queen Renaldi in The Princess Diaries. Her voice and image have captured generations, but there may be some pretty interesting facts about Mrs. Andrews you never knew.
1) Julie Andrews was born Julia Elizabeth Wells.
She changed her name to Andrews after her mother married her second husband.
2) Her first professional role was at the age of twelve in show called Starlight Roof.
3) She played the original Eliza Doolittle in the stage production.
However, when it came to the film adaptation executives though she wouldn’t be able to handle it since she had never done screen acting before and instead chose to use Audrey Hepburn. The film one every academy award it was nominated for, except for best actress that went ironically to Julie Andrews for her role in Mary Poppins.
4) Julie Andrews has two adopted daughters with her second husband Blake Edwards.
Both were born in Vietnam and are named Amy and Joanna Edwards.
5) In 1998, she underwent throat surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital.
After experiencing throat problems while singing it was found that she had non-cancerous nodules. Sadly, the surgery left her unable to sing again. In 1999, she filed a malpractice suit against the doctor.
6) The first time she sang in public since the incident in The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement.
The song was “Your Crowning Glory,” which she sang with singer-actress Raven-Symone.
7) On December 31, 1999, Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II named Andrews a Dame on the Millenium New Year’s Honours List.
8) There is actually a rose breed named after her.
In 1992, a salmon pink rose bred in England was given the name Julie Andrews in honor of her role as lovable flower seller Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady.
9) Julie Andrews hosted the opening day of Walt Disney World in Orlando Florida in 1971.
In 2005, she was also selected by the Walt Disney Company to be the Ambassador for” The Happiest Homecoming on Earth: Disneyland’s 50th anniversary Celebration.”
10) One of her dearest friends is comedienne Carol Burnett.
photo via Tumblr
They met in 1960 through friends. Carol is the Godmother of Julie’s daughter from her first marriage, Emma Walton.